5 Eggs, large
3 1/4 cups All-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
2 cups Granulated sugar
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 lb Butter, salted
1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 lb Butter, unsalted
4 cups Powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/4 cup Heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a standard-size muffin tin with paper liners, or if you choose not to use liners, grease and flour each cup thoroughly (be sure to get into all the nooks and crannies to avoid sticking).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat until thoroughly combined and very fluffy, about three minutes. Add the five eggs and beat until incorporated, then the vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on its lowest speed, add half the flour, then half the buttermilk, followed by the remaining flour and buttermilk. Increase the speed to medium and continue to beat the batter for a another minute, until the texture is uniform and fluffy.
- Using a quarter-cup measure or a large cookie/ice cream scoop, fill each muffin cup with batter. To ensure a nice domed top, be sure to fill each to the top; if you prefer flatter, level cupcakes, fill them slightly less.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until the edges are beginning to brown and a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a baking rack before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat softened butter until light and fluffy. Slowly add 4 cups of powdered sugar, then the cream and vanilla extract. If the frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar; if it’s too thick, add a bit more cream.
- For a decorative design, use a piping bag with the tip of your choice, or simply spread on with a knife. Top with sprinkles and Enjoy!